[llvm-dev] RFC for f18+runtimes in LLVM

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 1 09:05:38 PST 2019

Petr Penzin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> My worry here that it would actually take years to develop f18 into an
> a working compiler, in which case there might be other options worth
> considering for a Fortran front-end. In my opinion (and this may be a
> matter of personal preference) a healthier subset of the compiler
> would be more of an end-to-end subset of it -- something that can be
> tested as a full product while it is being developed. And then there
> is also the argument for reusing Clang tooling, which David Greene
> keeps making, though that idea does not seem to get a lot of interest.

Petr, can you describe a bit about how tooling works in Fort, so we all
have a better idea of the challenges involved?  I see the sources have a
layout similar to clang.  Is it reusing any clang code directly?

What is the status of Fort?  What standard(s) does it support and what
is planned for future standard support?  Does it support a working
subset of Fortran?  Does it provide a Fortran runtime library or does it
use existing runtimes?  Any OpenMP support?

Anything else we should know about Fort?

                         -David