[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Siva Chandra via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 27 16:16:40 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 3:56 PM Zachary Turner <zturner at roblox.com> wrote:

> No, I do not think we want to mix up CRTs on any platform. At the
>> least, it will be disruptive to the compiler drivers. Our goal is to
>> build a CRT with supports statically linked executables on Linux. We
>> do not intend to mix this new CRT with the CRT from the system libc.
>> The new CRT might only be useful after a non-trivial part of the libc
>> has been built. Until then, we have to use the CRT from the system
>> libc.
>>

> How would you perform redirection if both copies are not linked in?  Some
> sort of out-of-process mechanism?  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the nature
> of the redirection you're referring to.

There is probably a difference in what we mean by CRT _and_ redirectors.
Let me try to make my meaning clear.

By CRT, I am referring to the [r]crt*.o files on Linux which handle program
startup and termination logic. I do not know if CRT means something else on
Windows.

With respect to "redirectors", I do not want to get locked into an
implementation discussion here, so let me just say that they are simply
functions in the new libc which merely call into the system libc.