[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 26 21:52:28 PDT 2019

On Jun 26, 2019, at 11:20 AM, Siva Chandra via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> a) We want to leverage the compiler for performance wherever possible,
> and as part of the LLVM project, fix compiler bugs rather than use
> assembly.

I love this approach as a way of driving low level performance forward!  How do you anticipate this working in practice?

For example, if someone says “I can shave 1 cycle out of this important thing if I write it in asm” and you know that a suitably capable compiler engineer can achieve the same thing given enough time, how do you plan to push back?

-Chris