[llvm-dev] Significant code difference with a split call to opt

Sébastien Michelland via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 26 15:35:43 PDT 2019

Hi,

This answer is a bit slow; I tried to look into the sequence details but
250 passes plus the complex bitcode of test suite examples makes this
pretty hard.

In the meantime I stumbled upon llvm-diff which abstracts away the most
significant difference, namely instruction renaming. It also ignores
function attributes so calling conventions are silently unified; but at
least it gives empty diffs when comparing the two methods. This means
that my performance differences are mostly measurement errors...

Some of the differences might be "normal", eg. caused by randomized data
structures. I don't have that much experience with LLVM code so I'm not
sure how probable this is.

I'll stick to llvm-diff for now and maybe come back to this when I have
a clearer understanding of the pass management process. ^^

Thanks for your time and help!
Sébastien Michelland