[llvm-dev] Representations of IR in the output of opt

Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 26 15:03:44 PDT 2019

I finally got back to this. It is a known and endemic issue that pops up from time to time. The issues I’m aware of so far are related to random sets being used where strict order is required. This may result in non-deterministic uselists issued by the bitcode/assembly writers.

There is no great way to go about pro-active testing for this. Collecting the tests so far and running them as regression tests occasionally might serve as a feel better bandage. Neither can I think of good checks in a verifier. These bugs show up from time to time, disappear, show up again, and essentially any commit could expose them or make them disappear. The medicine to take may well be supplying deterministic implementations for DenseMap, SmallPtrSet, and probably DenseSet  - and have current usage limited to cases where order is irrelevant, like in data flow analysis etc.

I pushed back one fix for sccp, and will post one for adce later. Hopefully they will help in your case, but I doubt they are exhaustive.

FWIW, there is one bright spot here: I have no (not yet…) example where incorrect code is generated.

-Gerolf