[llvm-dev] Wrong Range of SCEV for URem

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 25 20:49:48 PDT 2019

1. There is nothing wrong about getUnsignedRange returning a range
with a negative value.  "Signed" and "Unsigned" are merely hints, the
underlying ConstantRange representation does not have a concept of
sign.  [A, B) represents all the values enumerated by "for (I = A; I
!= B; I++ /*wrapping addition*/) { yield(I); }"

2. I would guess this is because SCEV does not directly represent urem
but instead represents it as "%x urem %y == %x -<nuw> ((%x udiv %y)
*<nuw> %y)".  This makes it difficult for SCEV to infer that the X
urem 3 is u< 3.