[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Cranmer, Joshua via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 25 10:41:35 PDT 2019

Many of the headers prescribed by the C specification itself have some degree of architecture-dependence. I count 11 headers that rely on some architecture details, or minimally need to have some knowledge of ABI details. These are complex, fenv, float, inttypes, limits, math, stdarg, stdatomic, stddef, stdint, and setjmp. About 10 headers have some degree of operating-system specific details (ctype, errno, signal, stdio, stdlib, wchar, wctype, threads, time, locale), although most of them have a fairly minimal abstraction base. The remaining 8 headers are truly agnostic to any implementation details and have their contents more or less mandated by the specification (assert, iso646, stdalign, stdbool, stdnoreturn, string, tgmath, and uchar), although there may be room for libraries to have accelerated implementations on particular architectures.