[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Jon Chesterfield via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 24 23:16:15 PDT 2019

> Hello LLVM Developers,
>

> Within Google, we have a growing range of needs that existing libc
> implementations don't quite address. This is pushing us to start working on
> a new libc implementation.

It would be convenient for LLVM to bundle libc. I've been shipping a subset
of musl with LLVM for a while now and based on passing comment at
conferences suspect that to be common. The codebase is coherent and
adherence to the spec is good.

If we adopt that, even by forking it, then we'd have a solid, multiarch
libc with dynamic linking support within a day or so. A bit longer to set
up fuzz testing.

I'd be interested to know how that fails to meet the internal requirements
at Google, especially in such a way that couldn't be managed as a
downstream fork.

Kind regards,

Jon