[llvm-dev] How to handle ISD::STORE when both operands are FrameIndex?

Gleb Popov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 24 22:25:31 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 4:08 PM Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 12:16, Gleb Popov via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > 1. Where does it come from? Can I do anything to make it not appear?
>
> It comes from something like:
>
>     %ptr = alloca i8
>    %var = alloca i8*
>    store i8* %ptr, i8** %var
>
> and in general it's not possible to eliminate the combination.

Aha, thanks.

> > 2. If not, how do I change it so that the operand being stored would be
> first loaded into a register, and that register would be used instead?
>
> While the store is being selected LLVM will just treat the value being
> stored as a generic pointer-width integer unless you have written a
> specific pattern for storing a FrameIndex somewhere.

Actually, this is exactly my case. I have a pattern that looks like

(store_stack IntRegs:$reg, FIOperand:$i)

It worked for me when first operand was a register and now I stumbled upon
two FrameIndicies.

That's probably

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 4:14 PM Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparzysz at quicinc.com>
wrote:

> FrameIndex values come from objects that are still allocated on the stack
> at the time of the SDAG construction.  In your case it seems that the
> address and the value to store are both on the stack.  You don’t need to do
> anything in particular with it.  If you have a selection pattern of form
> “(store RegClassA:$Addr, RegClassB:$Val), (STORE $Addr, $Val)”, then it
> will force loading both, Addr and Val into registers.

You mean, LLVM will automagically generate loads? This isn't happening for
me.

And what's "STORE"? Is it somehow different from "store"?

I think someone has added a pattern to match frame index in patterns as