[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 24 17:32:59 PDT 2019

<disclaimer: I work at Google, though not on anything related to this project>

> On Jun 24, 2019, at 3:23 PM, Siva Chandra via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> We are still in the early stages, but we do have some high-level goals and guiding principles of the initial scope we are interested in pursuing:
>
> The project should mesh with the "as a library" philosophy of the LLVM project: even though "the C Standard Library" is nominally "a library," most implementations are, in practice, quite monolithic.

This is awesome.  I’d really love to see a corpus of functionality built as a set of libraries that can be sliced and remixed in different ways per the needs of different use-cases.

> For these areas, the community is of course free to contribute. Our hope is that, preserving the "as a library" design philosophy will make such extensions easy, and allow retaining the simplicity when these features aren't needed.

Fantastic!

> We intend to build the new libc in a gradual manner. To begin with,  the new libc will be a layer sitting between the application and the system libc. Eventually, when the implementation is sufficiently complete, it will be able to replace the system libc at least for some use cases and contexts.
>
> So, what do you think about incorporating this new libc under the LLVM project?

I would love to see this, and I think it would fill a significant missing piece in the LLVM ecosystem.

-Chris