[llvm-dev] RFC: Memcpy inlining in IR

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 21 09:13:24 PDT 2019

> On Jun 21, 2019, at 5:16 AM, David Chisnall via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> For CHERI, we have to be quite careful with memcpy because any pointer copy must be done with pointer load / store operations for all pointer sized-and-aligned places.  I believe I've now found four (maybe five?) different places in LLVM where memcpy is expanded.  Most of those are in the IR, not SelectionDAG.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me like as soon as there’s a memcpy on a pointer, the IR is incorrect for you target’s semantics. i.e. the language frontend should never emit a memcpy on pointers, and it would be wrong for your target to synthesize new memcpy from load / store on pointers. Clang definitely has the required information to respect these constraints, but I don’t think LLVM IR does.