[llvm-dev] Retiring VS2015 Support

Simon Pilgrim via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 19 15:26:30 PDT 2019

On 19/06/2019 22:05, De Azevedo Piovezan, Felipe via llvm-dev wrote:
> Isn't this already covered by the compiler upgrade plan that was under discussion a while ago? The plan covers all compilers, not only VS.
Yes, but I see no problem with bumping the VS requirements earlier -
there's nothing binding GCC + VS minimum requirements together. And as I
pointed out this will let us start removing some VS compatibility hacks
in time for the 9.0 release cycle, plus we no longer seem to have
little/no build+test coverage for VS2015.
> If I understand correctly, VS2015 is already in the "soft error" range, and it will trigger a hard CMake error next time we bump the minimum requirements. Last I heard, we were waiting for Google to finish some internal work.

That's what I'd vaguely meant by the C++14 migration - I might have been
mistaken but I thought that was due to Google's dependency on older GCC
versions not VS?