[llvm-dev] Running distributed thinLTO without thin archives.

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 18 13:58:15 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:40 PM Tanoy Sinha <tsinha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> Question about the final link step:
>
> Do I provide all the object files to the link step, i.e. something like:
> clang++ -o thinlto main-native.o lib/lib-native.o src/lib-native.o
>

> Do I need to provide --start-lib markers on that final link step as well?

No and No. After the thin link the linker has already done its symbol
resolution, and using --start-lib/--end-lib in the final link can muck with
that. However, the list of files the linker selected in the right order is
emitted in the argument given to thinlto-index-only (thinlto.objects in
your case below). You can pass that to the native link via the "@" option:
  clang++ -o thinlto @thinlto.objects
however you need to deal with the fact that this file contains the original
bitcode names (not the names you gave it in your backend step like
main-native.o, etc)
There are 2 options for correcting the names:
1) Manually rename in thinlto.objects
2) Use the thinlto_prefix_replace=oldprefix;newprefix plugin option, to
replace the old path prefix of the input bitcode files with a new path
prefix. In your case the old prefix is "", so you could do something like
"-Wl,-plugin-opt,thinlto_prefix_replace=:native/". This should do 2 things:
1) the generated .thinlto.bc index files and the .imports files will be put
under a "native/" subdirectory; 2) the paths in thinlto.objects should also
have the "native/" prefix. If you use that prefix in your LTO backend clang
invocations (e.g. -o native/main.o instead of main-native.o), then
thinlto.objects can just be passed directly to the final link via "@"
without any modification.

Note that if your thin link included any already native files/libraries,
those still need to be passed as the thinlto.objects only includes those
that were originally bitcode.

Teresa

--
Teresa Johnson |  Software Engineer |  tejohnson at google.com |