[llvm-dev] Require -funwind-tables for compiler-rt on ARM?

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 18 06:12:22 PDT 2019

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 17:28, Shoaib Meenai <smeenai at fb.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the bug report; that makes sense.
>

> And I should have been clearer … I meant specifically requiring -funwind-tables for the sanitizers, since they all require some form of unwinding. compiler-rt's build adds -funwind-tables to the sanitizer compile flags if its configure check succeeded: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/a8dcd47688764faf90c44dfefd0cc321b3e8d9df/compiler-rt/CMakeLists.txt#L274. I'm wondering if for ARM (and any other architecture with similar issues) we should error if the configure check for -funwind-tables failed and you're building a sanitizer.

Thanks for the clarification. I think that for many of the sanitizers
the unwinding is used in an error message, but isn't required to
detect an error? In that case a hard error for funwind-tables not
being present might be considered overly strict. However I agree that
it is far more likely to be a mistake somewhere in the build system
than intentionally removing it.

In summary; no objections to adding an error for Arm. Would be good to
get some input from someone more familiar with the sanitizers than me
though.

Peter