[llvm-dev] [RFC] Changing X86 data layout for address spaces

Arsenault, Matthew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 31 09:26:05 PDT 2019

The datalayout itself is currently not considered a point of configurability. It’s a static, backend/codegen defined property. The target machine machine returns the datalayout for the given triple and is the source of truth. The front end is responsible for creating a module with an exactly matching datalayout and is not free to customize the datalayout this way. I’m not sure what there is to gain by avoiding putting this information in the backend.

-Matt