[llvm-dev] Arguments name IR LLVM

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 29 11:14:22 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 4:39 AM Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> The arguments are unnamed, which means they will be implicitly named %0,
> %1, %2.

OP's use case for the names aside, I think we should consider changing
LLVM's IR printer to print unnamed arguments in function definitions as %0,
%1, etc, like we do for instructions. We can skip the names for Function
declarations since nothing can refer to them, but it's confusing to see %0
references with no definition. Unnamed BBs are another common source of
confusion, but I'd leave that alone for now.

Reid