[llvm-dev] Regarding f18 integration with LLVM

Neil Nelson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 18:04:38 PDT 2019

A note on the criteria for inclusion into LLVM

What does it mean to be included into LLVM?

- My impression is that a project becomes part of the release package.

- That there is some responsibility by the LLVM community or general
interest in fixing bugs and providing updates.

For the first item, after downloading the entire release the user will
choose to make use of any given project. It would appear that some
projects in the release are not commonly of great user interest.

For the second item, I would think that for these less primary projects,
that maintenance will likely have a lower priority and that it will
primarily depend on those who have an interest in that project.

My observation is that some projects are not useful for the core
purposes of LLVM and rather it is LLVM that is useful to the core
purposes of some projects. We could remove some projects without any
effect on what I think we could identify as components that have a
necessary LLVM interdependency.

That we could remove some unnecessary projects does not require that
they no longer have visibility or relevance to a more inclusive LLVM
user group. It rather suggests we can provide easy visibility, and
individual download and inclusion with LLVM for these satellite
projects, of which there may be many. They become second tier projects.
These are important projects in the larger context but not essential to
the development LLVM.

Also in this way the libc project starts second-tier and may at some
point become part of the primary LLVM project when that useful
interdependency can be well justified.

Regards, Neil Nelson