[llvm-dev] Intrinsics InstrReadMem memory properties

Son Tuan VU via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 15:51:10 PDT 2019

Ok, now I think I've found a bug:

Consider this C code:
void bar(int b) {
  int a[10];
  memset(a, b, 10);
}

which generates this IR code:
define dso_local void @bar(i32 %b) #0 {
entry:
  %b.addr = alloca i32, align 4
  %a = alloca [10 x i32], align 16
  store i32 %b, i32* %b.addr, align 4
  %arraydecay = getelementptr inbounds [10 x i32], [10 x i32]* %a, i64 0,
i64 0
  %0 = bitcast i32* %arraydecay to i8*
  %1 = load i32, i32* %b.addr, align 4
  %2 = trunc i32 %1 to i8
  call void @llvm.memset.p0i8.i64(i8* align 16 %0, i8 %2, i64 10, i1 false)
  ret void
}

Now I have a pass that inserts an intrinsic with IntrReadMem into the IR:
define dso_local void @bar(i32 %b) #0 {
entry:
  %b.addr = alloca i32, align 4
  %a = alloca [10 x i32], align 16
  store i32 %b, i32* %b.addr, align 4
  %arraydecay = getelementptr inbounds [10 x i32], [10 x i32]* %a, i64 0,
i64 0
  %0 = bitcast i32* %arraydecay to i8*
  %1 = load i32, i32* %b.addr, align 4
  %2 = trunc i32 %1 to i8
  call void @llvm.memset.p0i8.i64(i8* align 16 %0, i8 %2, i64 10, i1 false)
*  tail call void @mem_read_test(i8* %0)*
  ret void
}

; Function Attrs: nounwind readonly
declare void @mem_read_test(i8*) #2

However, the call to memset() still got optimized away by DSE. What am I
missing here? Or this is indeed a bug in DSE?

Son Tuan Vu