[llvm-dev] [RFC] A new multidimensional array indexing intrinsic

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 13:13:45 PDT 2019

Hi all,

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 16:14, Michael Kruse via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Mmmh, looks like Tim Northover is actively working on typeless/opaque
> pointers, e.g. https://reviews.llvm.org/D64203

Yep, I'm spending as much time as I can on the project. I think
there's not really much chance that it'll be required in this cycle
(i.e. when we fork in ~Jan pointers will be distinct IMO).

On intrinsics as they affect opaque pointers, I took a look earlier
and didn't notice any target-independent ones that would need a
separate type parameter, but a couple of target-specific ones did.
Unless they were particularly anomalous and implementable by other
means, intrinsics will need to develop the ability to specify an
abstract "notable type" anyway.

Apart from all that, I'm pretty disappointed to see this as an
intrinsic though. GEP is such a fundamental part of addressing in LLVM
that bifurcating it into an intrinsic for either a language or an
analysis seems like we'd be papering over a language deficiency.

Cheers.

Tim.