[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase & git-blame

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 06:23:49 PDT 2019

I tend to use git blame via the Github UI. This provides a single-click
button to go to the commit before the commit in question, so it'll add an
extra click to go back in time (and corresponding page reload time), which
is less than ideal, but isn't the worst thing in the world. I think I've
probably only used git blame directly in LLVM on single-figure occasions,
and nearly always found it easier to then go to github for one reason or
another, so much so that I don't remember how long it's been since I last
actually used the command line to do it. There are numerous cases I run
into where the code has slightly changed due to a new API parameter, a
variable rename, a re-ordering or refactoring of code or whatever, so one
extra commit I need to ignore is not a big deal.

James