[llvm-dev] How to contribute on LLVM project as beginner

Oliver Stannard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 02:52:18 PDT 2019

Your script looks OK, though you won't want to use the -opt-bisect-limit=
option until you've found a case where code-generation changes. Instead,
that's a tool which you could use to narrow down the pass inside LLVM which
is causing the change.

The problem is that your input code is far too simple to trigger any
interesting optimisations. I'd suggest starting with either some code from
the LLVM test suite (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-test-suite), or some code
generated by csmith (https://embed.cs.utah.edu/csmith/). The former has the
advantage of being (mostly) real code people actually write, and the latter
can generate a large amount of complex code without any external
dependencies (so it's easy to build).

I'd also suggest looking into creduce (https://embed.cs.utah.edu/creduce/),
which will allow you to quickly reduce a large input file which triggers a
bug down to a much smaller one.

Oliver