[llvm-dev] Altering the return address , for a function with multiple return paths

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 23 22:46:09 PDT 2019

On 7/23/19 8:42 PM, John McCall via llvm-dev wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2019, at 12:29, James Y Knight via llvm-dev wrote:
>
>     Yes, indeed!
>
>     The SBCL lisp compiler (not llvm based) used to emit functions
>     which would
>     return either via ret to the usual instruction after the call, or
>     else load
>     the return-address from the stack, then jump 2 bytes later (which
>     would
>     skip over either a nop or a short jmp at original target
>     location). Which
>     one it used depended upon whether the function was doing a
>     multi-valued
>     return (in which case it used ret) or a single-valued return (in
>     which case
>     it did the jmp retpc+2).
>
>     While this seems like a clever and efficient hack, it actually has an
>     absolutely awful effect on performance, due to the unpaired call
>     vs return,
>     and the unexpected return address.
>
>     SBCL stopped doing this in 2006, a decade later than it should've
>     -- the
>     Pentium1 MMX from 1997 already had a hardware return stack which
>     made this
>     a really bad idea!
>
>     What it does now is have the called function set or clear the
>     carry flag
>     (using STC and CLC) immediately before the return. If the caller
>     cares,
>     then the caller emits JNC as the first instruction after the call.
>     (but
>     callers typically do not care -- most calls only consume a single
>     value,
>     and any extra return-values are silently ignored).
>
> On Swift, we've occasionally considered whether it would be useful to be
> able to return values in flags. For example, you could imagine returning
> a trinary comparison result on x86_64 based on whether ZF and CF are set.
> A function which compares two pairs of unsigned numbers could be compiled
> to something like:
>
> |cmpq %rdi, %rdx jz end cmpq %rsi, %rcx end: ret |
>
> And the caller can switch over the values just by testing the flags.
>
> The main problem is that this is really elegant if you have an
> instruction that sets the flags exactly right and really terrible
> if you don't. For example, if we want this function to compare two
> pairs of /signed/ numbers, we need to move OF to CF without disturbing
> ZF, which I don't think is possible without some really ugly
> instruction sequences. (Or we could add 0x8000_0000_0000_0000 to both
> operands before the comparison, but that's terrible in its own right.)
>
> That problem isn't as bad if it's just a single boolean in ZF or CF, but
> it's still not great, at least on x86.
>
> Now, specialized purposes like SBCL's can definitely still benefit from
> being able to return in a flag. If LLVM had had the ability to return
> values in flags, we might've used it in Swift's coroutines ABI, where
> [...]
We've also got some cases where returning a value in a flag might be
useful.  Our typical use case is we have a "rare, but not *that* rare*
slowpath which sometimes needs to run after a call from a runtime
function.  Our other compiler(s) - which use hand rolled assembly for
all of these bits - return the "take-rare" bit in ZF, and branch on that
after the call.  For our LLVM based system, we just materialize the
value into $rax and branch on that.  That naive scheme has been
surprisingly not bad performance wise.

* The "not *that* rare" part is needed to avoid having exceptional
unwinding be the right answer.

If we were to support something like this, you'd really want to be able
to define individual flags in the callee's calling convention
clobber/preserve lists.  It's really common to have a helper routine
which sets say ZF, but leaves others unchanged.  Or to have a function
which sets ZF, clobbers OF, and preserves all others.  But if we were
going to do that, we'd quickly realize that the x86 backend doesn't
track individual flags at all, and thus conclude it probably wasn't
worth it begin with.  :)

Philip