[llvm-dev] [RFC] A new multidimensional array indexing intrinsic

Kaylor, Andrew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 22 16:08:25 PDT 2019

Is it even possible to implement the original proposal using an intrinsic? I'm not sure how to interpret part of the description. It says the syntax for the intrinsic would be this:

It isn't clear to me what that means. The later example is also in a somewhat generalized form:

  %arrayidx = llvm.multidim.array.index.* i64 i64* %A, %str_1, %idx_1, %str_2, %idx_2

Trying to expand this into something concrete it looks to me like the extra value-less type argument ('i64' immediately following the intrinsic name) won't work, and if I'm reading it correctly that's a necessary element. The GEP instruction accepts a raw type as a pseudo-argument. It does this to prepare for the coming transition to opaque pointers, and it can do it because it's a first class instruction. However, an intrinsic can't do this. And yet without it we won't know what to use for the GEP's source element type "argument" after pointer's lose their pointee type.

-Andy