[llvm-dev] Adding the LLVM license file to the monorepo root

Alex L via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 18 15:55:28 PDT 2019

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response! I think that you're right, and it would make
sense for the LLVM Foundation to drive this kind of change to ensure this
is done with correct legal compliance. I will close my patch and will reach
out the Foundation instead.

I would like to offer a different perspective of why adding a top-level
license file would benefit some downstream monorepo repositories.
Yesterday, Apple published a prototype downstream monorepo that can be used
for building Swift: https://github.com/apple/llvm-project-v1 . One of the
issues we encountered before publishing was the lack of a top-level license
file in LLVM's monorepo root SVN repo, as we created our own downstream
fork for the monorepo root on Github as well (
https://github.com/apple/llvm-monorepo-root). Before we could publish it,
we had to add a top-level LLVM LICENSE.txt file to our fork of the monorepo
root, to ensure that the repository was licensed. And even though the
monorepo root repository will go away once LLVM.org transitions to Github,
we will still need a top-level license file in our downstream fork of
llvm-project, to ensure that we aren't publishing files that appear to be
unlicensed on Github (specifically the top-level config files in
llvm-project).

Thanks,
Alex