[llvm-dev] MachinePipeliner refactoring

James Molloy via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 16 07:02:24 PDT 2019

Hi Brendon,

Thanks for the in-depth reply!

> Loop carried Phis are hard.

I think the whole thing can be summarized like this :) The data flow
between prolog, kernel and epilog would be fairly trivial to handle without
these (and this is demonstrated by my prototype being ~300 lines of code).

To dig a little deeper, one thing I don't understand right now (and this is
inhibiting me from making effective refactoring) is what it actually means
to "schedule" a loop-carried PHI. In my naive head, things would be a lot
simpler if all phis were scheduled in stage zero. Given that they are free,
is the idea behind them being in a non-zero stage purely for register
allocation? (I'm aware the answer to this may well be "read the SMS
literature more carefully"!)

The big thing I'm trying to wrap my head around is the logic in the
generateExistingPhis() function. I feel that everything else seems fairly
easy to refactor; it's the logic here that's tied closely to the concepts
of prologs and epilogs. It feels like we should be able to answer the
question "Given this loop-carried PHI, what instruction in what stage (as
an offset from the current stage) generates this value?"

If we could answer that question, generating the tree of phis to plumb the
values through seems, while not trivial, an orthogonal task.

Thanks for answering my newbie questions!

James