[llvm-dev] Tail-Loop Folding/Predication

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 16 02:02:07 PDT 2019

Hi Scott,

Yes, I meant exactly that:

>  So, in effect, running the entire loop under predicate so there is only one loop body?

We see having one loop body as the easiest and also best way to detect and support these so called "tail-predicated hardware loops". This solves the pass ordering problem of vectorizing and creating hardware loops and keeps the loop in an easier to analyse form.

> ..., or are you just leveraging the exiting fold tail by masking and removing the original vectorized loop body?

It looks like we can leverage the vectoriser as it already capable of folding the tail and predicating the instructions, but we just need to steer the decision making with e.g. this new pragma. For example, in LoopVectorizationLegality::canFoldTailByMasking() this decision making and transformation is happening.

Probably my suggestion for 1 generic pragma for both cases (the vectorizer, and tail-predicated hardware loops) was wrong. My reason however for suggesting 1 generic pragma was that I thought people would not be an awful less interested in an ARM MVE specific pragma; I thought I would increase my chances with a generic one, but that didn't seem to work. ;-) I actually agree that a generic one like this:

    #pragma tail_predicate

doesn't seem a good fit for the vectorizer, which should indeed be something like this:

   #pragma loop vectorize(enable) predicated(enable)

but this one doesn't seem a great fit for my example, i.e. I see that it probably also work for my use case, but a vectorize pragma is probably not a great fit here. So that suggest 2 pragmas would be best.

It looks like people like the extra "predicated(enable)" hint as part of the vectorize pragma, so I will implement that first. This also allows to me to continue prototyping the actual transformation (rewriting unpredicated intrinsics to predicated ones), which might perhaps be a bit of an odd one, but I still think that could be convenient for users. I can always propose another pragma once I got more experience with my transformation.

Thanks,
Sjoerd.