[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: change -fp-contract=off to actually disable FMAs

Stephen Canon via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 12 08:54:25 PDT 2019

Echoing what everyone else has said, keying on the word “fused” is a red herring here.

fp-contract refers to behavior governed by the STDC FP_CONTRACT pragma. “Contraction” has a formal definition in the C standard:

> A floating expression may be contracted, that is, evaluated as though it were a single operation, thereby omitting rounding errors implied by the source code and the way to disallow contracted expressions.

Note that this definition is *purely* in terms of the rounding of arithmetic operations performed by the abstract machine; there is no notion of instructions generated. Formation of fused multiply-add instructions is one specific form of fusion licensed by this pragma, which happens to be the main one of interest from the standpoint of compiler performance optimization for FMA-based architectures.

There’s some imprecision in the documentation caused by a mismatch between what’s interesting for compiler writers (where rounding changes due to FMA formation are allowed) and the abstract specification. That should be cleaned up. However, fp-contract is not a knob to control whether or not abstract-machine operations generate a single arithmetic instruction—it definitely does not, and should not, enable or disable MAD formation.

– Steve