[llvm-dev] llvm.set.loop.iterations

Markus Lavin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 12 02:11:47 PDT 2019

Hi Bjorn,

That sounds like another viable option but perhaps one involving slightly more work. Intuitively though it seems that solving the problem at the source (i.e. not adding the constant in the first place) would be the cleanest solution besides of course the issues with that already mentioned.

I would imagine that most machine instructions realizing hw loops are more interested in the number of jumps to make as compared to the the number of iterations a loop will roll. But in this case clearly my imagination does not line up with reality as other targets seem to want the number of iterations.

I haven't thought about the case of the addition being hoisted out of the loop pre-header but I guess that could happen. There is nothing AFAIK that requires us to keep the llvm.set.loop.iterations intact but it just seemed like the easiest thing to do to avoid introducing more intermediate pseudos.

Need to experiment some more.

-Markus