[llvm-dev] Python build dependency in LLVM and/or clang?

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 11 14:25:24 PDT 2019

LLVM's dependency on Python to *build* is historical, and could actually be removed. We use it for LLVMBuild, which was important back when we had autoconf as a method of maintaining library dependency graphs between autoconf and CMake. We could actually remove LLVMBuild and with it the python dependency. There was even a few patches a few years back to do it.

See:

https://reviews.llvm.org/D28086 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D28086>
https://reviews.llvm.org/D28856 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D28856>
https://reviews.llvm.org/D28855 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D28855>