[llvm-dev] Having trouble getting started on writing a WDC 65816 backend

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 9 11:29:46 PDT 2019

I asked about this in IRC ~2.5 hours ago:

<srnb> I'm trying to write an LLVM backend for the WDC 65816 (for usage in compiling SNES code) but I have very little experience with how C++ works and LLVM's CMakeLists. I'm trying to follow the guide but I don't know how to check if the project builds after my changes or how to test a small amount of C with it once I get it working.
<srnb> I've run into some things where I'm questioning if it makes sense for an LLVM backend:
<srnb> - How do I handle ROM banks? ( https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56925635/equivalent-of-org-in-llvm-ir )
<srnb> - Does it make sense to use `ENVIRONMENT` (where it's usually either `gnu` or `musl`) for the different ROM types? (`lorom`, `hirom`, `sa1`, etc)
<srnb> - The assembler I want to target is one that's not very known outside of the Super Mario World RomHacking community. Who's job is it to assemble what LLVM outputs, and how?

It got buried under join/leave messages and build alerts.

I'm using CLion on Windows with Msys2-mingw64 (my VoidLinux-musl installation isn't that great for development yet). Importing the project works correctly, but I don't know how to build the project or test the project or test my backend.

This is my first time ever using a mailing list, apologies if I get something wrong.

Sent via Migadu.com, world's easiest email hosting