[llvm-dev] [RFC] Promoting the RISC-V backend from 'experimental' to 'official' for 9.0

Andrew Kelley via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 8 15:29:04 PDT 2019

On 7/8/19 6:19 PM, Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev wrote:
> The 9.0 release is currently scheduled to branch in 10 days time, on
> the 18th of July, with a final release expected on 28th August. I
> would like to propose promoting the RISC-V backend from its current
> "experimental" status to "official" prior to this branch. This means
> that the RISC-V backend will be built by default and support included
> in standard binary distributions of LLVM/Clang.

The Zig binaries available on ziglang.org/download have had the RISC-V
backend enabled for some time now. Personally I'm very much in favor of
making the backend official within LLVM so that package managers
everywhere have it enabled.

> Although becoming an official backend would be a huge milestone, of course it's
> far from the end of the road. We'll be continuing to work on code size and
> generated code performance improvements, better testing, working with language
> communities like Rust/Swift/Julia/..., support for additional LLVM features
> and RISC-V instruction set extensions, etc.
>
> Any questions / concerns / feedback?
You have the support of the Zig project for testing. I believe that
SourceHut is planning on having RISC-V images available soon for
automated testing, and once that is available, Zig project will be able
to provide pretty decent test coverage for the backend.

Congratulations on this milestone Alex!

Andrew