[llvm-dev] RFC: Complex in LLVM

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 2 14:38:35 PDT 2019

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 19:11, Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> One option is to make the complex type a special kind of vector, or a
> special kind of aggregate (I have a slight preference for the latter).
> That gives us an existing set of accessors.

I agree non-vector. If nothing else a vector of complexes seems like a
sensible concept which would be harder if a complex was itself
vectorial.

Myself, I think I do favour insertvalue/extractvalue over intrinsics
(which is probably a +1 for isAggregate too by extension).

If the notation for the literal is especially re/im rather than 0/1 we
might think about adding "extractvalue %v, real" as sugar (that last
arg is already weird). All just things to think about right now
though.

Cheers.

Tim.