[llvm-dev] Generating completely position agnostic code

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 1 02:23:47 PDT 2019

I'm not sure if you are wanting to modify LLVM to achieve your goal,
or just use the functionality that already exists. If you are willing
to make changes there are a couple of options in the ARM backend
-fropi and -frwpi that are close, but unfortunately don't support C++.
My understanding is that there are constant data such as vtables
containing pointers that you would need quite a bit of work to turn
into something that wouldn't require some kind of relocation. The
initial RFC has an explanation
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2015-December/093022.html
there is a mention of a -fallow-unsupported option to allow c++ use,
but I expect that this would only work for a subset of C++.

I don't think that this is the same problem that you are trying to
solve here though. I'm guessing that you are providing a fixed address
libc external to the position independent code that you interface with
via a table of pointers? I have seen that being done, one way of doing
it is to provide the linker with the address of the the libc functions
via absolute symbols, the table of function pointers uses something
like the linker --wrap symbol to do the indirection.

Peter