[llvm-dev] [RFC] Late (OpenMP) GPU code "SPMD-zation"

Doerfert, Johannes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 31 09:34:43 PST 2019

Hi Doru,

maybe I should clarify something I mentioned in an earlier email already
but it seems there are things getting lost in this thread:

  While the prototype replaces code generation parts in Clang, the
  actual patches will add alternative code generation paths, guarded
  under a cmd flag. Once, and obviously only if, everything is in place
  and has been shown to improve the current situation, the default path
  would be switched.

On 01/31, Gheorghe-Teod Bercea wrote:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> Thank you for the explanation.
>
> I think we need to clarify some details about code generation in Clang today:

I'm not really sure why you feel the need to do that but OK.

> 1. non-SPMD mode, or generic mode, uses the master-worker code gen scheme where
> the master thread and the worker threads are disjoint sets of threads (when one
> set runs the other set is blocked and doesn't participate in the execution):
>
> workers  |  master
> ====================
> BLOCKED  | RUNNING
> ------- sync -------
> RUNNING  | BLOCKED
> ------- sync -------
> BLOCKED  | RUNNING

I agree, and for the record, this is not changed by my prototype, see
[1, line 295].

[1] https://reviews.llvm.org/D57460#change-e9Ljd9RgdWYz

> 2. the worker threads, in their RUNNING state above, contain a state machine
> which chooses the parallel region to be executed. Today this choice happens in
> one of two ways: explicit targets (where you know what outlined region you are
> calling and you just call it) and indirect targets (via function pointer set by
> master thread in one of its RUNNING regions):
>
> workers  |  master
> ====================
> BLOCKED  | RUNNING
> ------- sync -------
> RUNNING  |
>  state   | BLOCKED
> machine  |
> ------- sync -------
> BLOCKED  | RUNNING

Partially agreed. Afaik, it will always be decided through a function
pointer set by the master thread and communicated to the workers through
the runtime. The workers use a switch, or in fact an if-cascade, to
check if the function pointer points to a known parallel region. If so
it will be called directly, otherwise there is the fallback indirect
call of the function pointer.

> Your intended changes (only target the RUNNING state machine of the WORKERS):
> - remove explicit targets from current code gen. (by itself this is a major
> step back!!)
> - introduce a pass in LLVM which will add back the explicit targets.

Simplified but correct. From my perspective this is not a problem
because in production I will always run the LLVM passes after Clang.
Even if you do not run the LLVM passes, the below reasoning might be
enough to convince people to run a similar pass in their respective
pipeline. If that is not enough, we can also keep the Clang state
machine generation around (see the top comment).

> Can you point out any major improvements this will bring compared to the
> current state?

Sure, I'll give you three for now:

[FIRST]
Here is the original motivation from the first RFC mail (in case you
have missed it):

 2) Implement a middle-end LLVM-IR pass that detects the guarded mode,
    e.g., through the runtime library calls used, and that tries to
    convert it into the SPMD mode potentially by introducing lightweight
    guards in the process.

    Why:
    - After the inliner, the canonicalizations, dead code elimination,
      code movement [2, Section 7 on page 8], we have a clearer picture
      of the code that is actually executed in the target region and all
      the side effects it contains. Thus, we can make an educated
      decision on the required amount of guards that prevent unwanted
      side effects from happening after a move to SPMD mode.
    - At this point we can more easily introduce different schemes to
      avoid side effects by threads that were not supposed to run. We
      can decide if a state machine is needed, conditionals should be
      employed, masked instructions are appropriate, or "dummy" local
      storage can be used to hide the side effect from the outside
      world.

[2] http://compilers.cs.uni-saarland.de/people/doerfert/par_opt18.pdf

Let me give you the canonical example that shows the need for this:

  #pragma omp target teams
  {
    foo(i + 0)
    foo(i + 1)
    foo(i + 2)
  }

  void foo(int i) {
  #pragma omp parallel
  }

The target region can be executed in SPMD mode but we cannot decide that
syntactically when the region is encountered. Agreed?

[SECOND]
Now there are other benefits with regards to the above mentioned state
machine. In the LLVM pass we can analyze the kernel code
interprocedurally and detect all potentially executed parallel regions,
together with a relation between them, and the need for the fallback
case. That means we can build a state machine that __takes control
dependences into account__, __after inlining and dead code elimination__
canonicalized the kernel.

If inlining and code canonicalization resulted in the following
structure, the state machine we can build late can know that after
section0 the workers will execute section1, potentially multiple times,
before they move on to section3. In today's scheme, this is sth. we
cannot simply do, causing us to traverse the if-cascade from top to
bottom all the time (which grows linear with the number of parallel
regions).

  if (...) {
    #pragma omp parallel
    section0(...)
    do {
      #pragma omp parallel
      section1(...)
    } while (...)
  }
  #pragma omp parallel
  section3(...)

[THIRD]
Depending on the hardware, we need to make sure, or at least try rally
hard, that there is no fallback case in the state machine, which is an
indirect function call. This can be done best at link time which
requires us to analyze the kernel late and modify the state machine at
that point anyway.

> From your answer below you mention a lower number of function calls. Since
> today we inline everything anyway how does that help?

If we inline, it doesn't for performance purposes. If we do not inline,
it does. In either case, it helps to simplify middle-end analyses and
transformations that work on kernels. Finally, it prevents us from
wasting compile time looking at the (unoptimizable) state machine of
every target region.

Maybe it is worth asking the opposite question:
  What are the reasons against these general runtime calls that hide the
  complexity we currently emit into the user code module?
[Note that I discuss the only drawback I came up with, a non-customized
state machine, already above.]

> If you haven't considered performance so far how come you're proposing all
> these changes? What led you to propose all these changes?

See above.

> In SPMD mode all threads execute the same code. Using the notation in the
> schemes above you can depict this as:
>
>     all threads
> ====================
>       RUNNING
>
> No state machine being used, no disjoints sets of threads. This is as
> if you're executing CUDA code.

Agreed.

> Could you explain what your proposed changes are in this context?

None, at least after inlining the runtime library calls there is
literally the same code executed before and after the changes.

> Could you also explain what you mean by "assuming SPMD wasn't achieved"?

That is one of the two motivations for the whole change. I explained
that in the initial RFC and again above. The next comment points you to
the code that tries to achieve SPMD mode for inputs that were generated
in the non-SPMD mode (master-worker + state machine) by Clang.

> Do you expect to write another LLVM pass which will transform the
> master-worker scheme + state machine into an SPMD scheme?

I did already, as that was the main motivation for the whole thing.
It is part of the prototype, see [3, line 321].

[3] https://reviews.llvm.org/D57460#change-8gnnGNfJVR4B

Cheers,
  Johannes

jdoerfert at anl.gov