[llvm-dev] [RFC] Vector Predication

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 31 09:02:36 PST 2019

Can I start w/some basic questions?   I've skimmed your proposal, but
haven't read it in detail, so if something I ask is already addressed,
please feel free to cite existing docs/discussion/whatever.

I'm going to use fsub as my running example, just because it's the first
IR test you posted. :)

%result = call <4 x float> @llvm.evl.fsub.v4f32(<4 x float> %x, <4 x
float> %y, <4 x i1> %M, i32 %L)

Question 1 - Why do we need separate mask and lengths?  Can't the length
be easily folded into the mask operand?

e.g. newmask = (<4 x i1>)((i4)%y & (1 << %L -1))
and then pattern matched in the backend if needed

Question 2 - Have you explored using selects instead?  What practical
problems do you run into which make you believe explicit predication is
required?

e.g. %sub = fsub <4 x float> %x, %y
         %result = select <4 x i1> %M, <4 x float> %sub, undef

My context for these questions is that my experience recently w/o
existing masked intrinsics shows us missing fairly basic optimizations,
precisely because they weren't able to reuse all of the existing
infrastructure.  (I've been working on SimplifyDemandedVectorElts
recently for exactly this reason.)  My concern is that your EVL proposal
will end up in the same state.

Philip