[llvm-dev] Why -pie option force LLD to output shared obj file type, not executable?

Shi, Steven via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 28 04:59:15 PST 2019

Hi Peter, Rui
Thank you for the info.

Thanks
Steven

From: Rui Ueyama [mailto:ruiu at google.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:02 AM
To: Shi, Steven <steven.shi at intel.com>
Cc: llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Subject: Re: Why -pie option force LLD to output shared obj file type, not executable?

lld sets ET_DYN instead of ET_EXEC if `-pic` is specified, which is basically the same behavior except the case that Peter explained. Unfortunately, there's no way to set ET_EXEC using lld, but the "type" field is 2 byte long and at offset 16, so you can edit it using a binary editor to change it from ET_DYN to ET_EXEC (although it's super hacky).

If you have GNU sed, you can do with the following command to change the field value:

sed -E -i -e '1s/^(.{16})../\1\x2\x0/' your-executable-file

Does that work for you?