[llvm-dev] [RFC] migrating past C++11

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 24 13:28:10 PST 2019

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 10:58 AM, Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 1/23/2019 9:36 AM, James Y Knight wrote:
>> I'd expect that either we'll either workaround the issues (e.g. not start using the broken feature), or else propose to require even newer versions. And as now, discuss the expected tradeoff between new features and requiring new compiler versions.
>
> I don't know how well requiring newer versions upon discovery of a problem is going to work in practice. Given the cost that upgrading a production compiler can have, this may be met with resistance (although would be the best option from our point of view).
>
> My question remains:
> What level of confidence do we have that the C++14 support in the proposed compilers is actually sufficient for clang/llvm?  Do we have any anecdotal evidence that they have been used in actual projects with success?

I have 100% confidence that whichever compiler version we choose will have codegen bugs which require workarounds. Not just for C++14, but for pretty much anything. You can find specific bugs on the WebKit / Firefox / Chromium discussions, but there’s a ton of them and it's pretty much impossible to decide which compiler bug is important to us and which isn’t.