[llvm-dev] [MachineOutliner][ARM][RFC] Add Machine Outliner support for ARM
Yvan Roux via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 22 06:42:27 PST 2019
Here is a proposal for Machine Outliner support on ARM targets. It is based on
the AArch64 implementation, and almost up-to-date with it. This implementation
is not intended to be checked-in as it, but is made available for testing and
What are the differencies with AArch64 implementation?
* ARM backend contains a Constant Island pass which splits constant pools inside
functions, this pass needs to be made after the Machine Outliner to avoid the
distance increase between the islands and the constant usage inside outlined
functions and the potential breakage.
* Handling of ARM, Thumb2 and Thumb1 code generation.
* Branch instructions can be conditional in ARM, only unconditional ones can be
outlined as a basic block terminator.
* PIC instructions (i.e PICADD, ...) contain labels, and can't be outlined since
offset computing would be broken.
* Only one commit from the AArch64 implementation is missing, it's the one which
moves the stack instructions check logic into getOutliningCandidateInfo, I
plan to replicate it here, but it can be done later.
What is the status?
* ARM and Thumb2 are implemented and tested, LLVM+Clang was bootstrapped with
the machine outliner turned on, regression testsuite passed with failures
(clang binary code size is reduced by ~6% for ARM and ~3.5% for Thumb2)
* Thumb1 is handled but not fully tested yet.
What is missing and needs to be done before check-in?
* More testcases should be added in particular MIR ones to check stack fix-ups,
* The patch can be splitted, I don't really see how to do it for the support
itself, but at least the move of the Constant Island pass and the properties
added to the outlined functions (such that this pass can be run) can be
contributed as a prerequisite.
* The up-comming comments should be addressed ;)
Patch was submitted as: https://reviews.llvm.org/D57054
More information about the llvm-dev