[llvm-dev] About "error: instruction expected to be numbered"

Peng Yu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 22 06:19:22 PST 2019

Hi,

  store i8* %7, i8** %6, align 8, !dbg !96
  %8 = load i8*, i8** %6, align 8, !dbg !98
  %9 = call %struct._IO_FILE* @fopen(i8* %8, i8* getelementptr
inbounds ([3 x i8], [3 x i8]* @.str.2, i32 0, i32 0)), !dbg !99

I changed the above machine generated IR code into the following to
get rid off %6 and %8.

  %9 = call %struct._IO_FILE* @fopen(i8* %7, i8* getelementptr
inbounds ([3 x i8], [3 x i8]* @.str.2, i32 0, i32 0)), !dbg !99

When I run llvm-as on it, I got the following.

llvm-as: main.exe.ll:52:3: error: instruction expected to be numbered '%8'

Must the register number be ordered and be without gaps between
instructions? Is there a way to allow more flexible register
numbering?

--
Regards,
Peng