[llvm-dev] Potential DWARF debug info bug: DW_TAG_label DIE has a DW_AT_prototyped attribute

Snider, Todd via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 18 13:06:49 PST 2019

In llvm/lib/MC/MCDwarf.cpp's EmitGenDwarfAbbrev(), the DWARF abbreviation declaration for a DW_TAG_label includes a DW_AT_prototyped attribute, but the DWARF 4 specification indicates that the DW_AT_prototyped attribute is not a valid attribute for the DW_TAG_label debug information entry (DIE). In this case, EmitGenDwarfAbbrev() is clearly in violation of the DWARF 4 specification.

However, I notice that one of the MachO lit tests is expecting the DW_TAG_label DIE to contain a DW_AT_prototyped attribute whose value is false (llvm/test/MC/MachO/gen-dwarf.s).

Does the DW_AT_prototyped attribute sever any purpose or provide any value in the context of a DW_TAG_label DIE?

If not, I propose to remove the call to EmitAbbrev() on behalf of the DW_AT_prototyped attribute for a DW_TAG_label in EmitGenDwarfAbbrev().

Thoughts?

Todd Snider

Compiler Group
Texas Instruments Incorporated