[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing an explicit calling convention

Frej Drejhammar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 16 03:53:50 PST 2019

Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com> writes:

> An alternate way of framing this would be to provide a clean interface
> for plugging in an externally defined calling convention w/o needing
> to rebuild LLVM. This would require a custom driver, but would avoid
> the need to build LLVM. This would solve our problem cleanly - and is
> probably what I'd get around to implementing someday - but I'm not
> sure how it matches your original use case.

I like this solution a lot. It would provide everything I need for my
use case and would sidestep the discussions about the syntax and exactly
what it should express. As far as I understand, it could also be used by
the ABI-lowering library suggested by Manuel Jacob and David Chisnall in
[1,2].

I'll wait a day or so to see if I get more suggestions before writing an
updated/alternative proposal.

--Frej

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-January/129184.html
[2] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-January/129207.html