[llvm-dev] PSA: the future of compiler-rt’s Scudo

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 15 02:41:36 PST 2019

On 14/01/2019 21:56, Kostya Kortchinsky via llvm-dev wrote:
> An early plan was to move to our own googlesource repository (or the
> like), but Chandler suggested we stay in compiler-rt, as a separate
> directory that could be a slice of the new git monorepo. This appeared
> to be acceptable to everybody involved (Chandler, Kostya S., Petr,
> Roland, Julia), and is now the plan of record. Once the standalone
> version is in, the non-standalone Scudo will likely be deprecated,
> although this part hasn’t been formalized yet.

So now we have a project that is loosely coupled to LLVM, can be built
without any other parts of LLVM, can be built as part of another shared
library that takes no dependencies on LLVM, will have contributors that
do not contribute to the rest of LLVM, but requires a clone of the
entire LLVM project to be able to access?

This is precisely the use case that caused many objections to the
everything-in-the-monorepo model.

David