[llvm-dev] Removing LLVM_ALWAYS_INLINE from ADT classes

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 14 15:17:43 PST 2019

The *specific* desire is to get methods from Support and ADT to work well
in debug builds. So not sure building those things with O3 helps.

I really don't understand the tension here.

Fundamentally, I think we need to give up on debug builds have super
predictable build-time performance. IMO, that includes tablegen. I'm happy
to have workarounds like building an optimized tablegen binary, but I'm not
sure its worth the complexity that it sounsd like that entails.

(Separately, I really wish Ninja and/or CMake had *good* models for a host
build vs. a target build so that it was easy and reliable to get optimized
host utilities built as well as unoptimized target binaries, but that seems
to be a real problem in their current design and I'm not suggesting we wait
for that to fix any of this.)