[llvm-dev] A tiny little subset of LLVM runtime

Hilton Fernandes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 14 13:42:18 PST 2019

Dear developers,

I'm working with a JIT subsystem, based on LLVM/clang, and the JIT-ted code
is used in a huge MSVC application.

The results so far are promising, as LLVM is a very stable, optimized
library.

However, up to now we're restricted to a minor subset of C++, since many
C++ features (like exceptions or RTTI) demand functions and classes that
belong to LLVM runtime library, that's usually not appended to the JIT-ted
code used in my application.

Since I'm the JIT-ted code is hosted in an MSVC application, that
(obviously) uses MSVC runtime, I've been considering to create a tiny
little subset of LLVM runtime that would be linked to the application, to
offer only what the JIT-ted code demands of it.

My questions are:

   1. do the creation of a minimal subset of LLVM runtime look feasible for
   you, LLVM developers and power users ?

   2. has this been tried before ?

All the best,
Hilton