[llvm-dev] [Openmp-dev] New license landing 2019-01-18 (end of next week!)

Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 12 07:22:55 PST 2019

Hi Dmitry,

TL;DR: IANAL, but 8.0 release is not affected. There are no problems
with merging.

> Just to make sure: will the 8.0 branch, which is going to be created 2019-01-16 (Wednesday), be affected?  If not, and 8.0 will come out under the previous license, how will merges from trunk be handled?
No *relicensing* is actually made (neither is planned to be made along
with 8.0 release branch). This certainly is not possible without
either approval of all the contributors and / or rewriting or removing
the corresponding code. Instead, per Chandler's e-mail, the new
developer policy will be installed. And new developer policy (see
http://llvm.org/foundation/relicensing/devpolicy.patch) is pretty
clear on this matter:

+To relicense LLVM, we will be seeking approval from all of the
copyright holders
+of code in the repository, or potentially remove/rewrite code if we cannot.
+This is a large
+and challenging project which will take a significant amount of time to
+complete.  In the interim, **all contributions to the project will be
made under
+the terms of both the new license and the legacy license scheme**
(each of which
+is described below).  The exception to this is the legacy patent grant, which
+will not be required for new contributions.
+
+When all of the code in the project has been converted to the new license or
+removed, we will drop the requirement to contribute under the legacy license.
+This will achieve the goal of having
+a single standardized license for the entire codebase.
+

So, there is no problem of merging the patches from the mainline to
the release branch as far as I can see. Though, you may, as usual,
contact your lawyer for more clarifications :)

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University