[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [8.0.0 Release] One week to the branch

Martin Storsjö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 11 06:26:40 PST 2019

Hi,

The COFF support in llvm-objcopy is in a pretty half-finished state at the
moment. I had hoped to have it mostly usable for the common scenarios by
the time of the branch (the initial patch was sent at the end of
November), but it's still lacking stripping of sections (while stripping
of symbols is pretty much done) and a few other minor features I have
waiting to be polished up according to review comments.

When used right now, it won't error out or warn about not doing what
actually was requested, but just copy the object/executable and do some
symbol removals if requested.

With the branch coming real soon, what's the preferred course of action?

0 - Do nothing, release this as is. As llvm-objcopy hasn't supported COFF
before, nobody will try it and run into the issue.

1 - Rip out the COFF support in the branch and let it error out as it did
before.

2 - Add a custom patch for the branch, which makes the tool error out if
an option that is known to be unimplemented/incomplete is specified,
keeping the functionality that is known to be complete.

3 - Merge the llvm-objcopy/COFF patches to the release branch as things
are completed in trunk during the rc phase, hopefully reaching a more
complete state within that timeframe. As this is a new feature, it
shouldn't have any stability impact on the rest (at least as long as we
don't end up needing to patch other libraries in the process).

What do you think?

// Martin