[llvm-dev] Slow debugger starts of LLVM tools

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 9 13:28:05 PST 2019

I'm wondering if anyone else is running into this problem.

When I do a Debug build and attempt to run a tool (opt, llvm-dis,
whatever) in gdb, the program takes a LOOOOONG time to begin executing.
the debugger sits there for many seconds and then things start going.
gdb emits no messages indicating what it is doing but it's basically
using 100% CPU.

I'm wondering if this is an artifact of the gdb I'm using (buggy?) or
something inherent to the way LLVM tools are built.  I see the same slow
operation across different versions of gdb and I do not see the same
slow operation with other executables.

                         -David