[llvm-dev] Undefined symbols with inline functions using the ORC JIT on Linux

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 8 13:05:11 PST 2019

Hi Martin,

What is the behavior when your simple program fails on Windows?

Could you attach the IR that clang produces for 'clang -S -emit-llvm
main.cpp'?

I suspect the problem has to do with the different ways that ORC and MCJIT
(and ORC-MCJIT) treat C++ runtime calls. In MCJIT these fall through to the
real runtime. As long as there are no global static destructors this works
out fine. If static destructors are registered with the program runtime
however, they will be executed *after* the JIT has been torn down which
usually leads to crash when the runtime jumps into deallocated JIT'd code.
ORC tries to address this by intercepting certain runtime calls (in
particular, __cxa_atexit) to register destructors with a simple c++ runtime
managed by the JIT. That way the JIT can run static destructors before it
deallocates code. I wrote and tested this on Darwin, and have tested it on
Linux (though not recently), but I do not have access to a Windows machine
to test with so it may well be broken there.

Cheers,
Lang.