[llvm-dev] Removing LLVM_ALWAYS_INLINE from ADT classes

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 7 08:33:10 PST 2019

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 at 00:42, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM Paweł Bylica via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:38 AM Duncan P. N. Exon Smith via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> This makes sense to me.
>>>
>>> One concern is that this in itself will slow down the build, since tablegen will get even slower.  Ideally, there would be some (perhaps default?) configuration where we build the tablegen binaries with optimizations on and then use them in the build, as if we were cross-compiling.
>>

>> Maybe something simple like -DLLVM_OPTIMIZE_TABLEGEN=ON (enabled by default for Debug builds). You would need to set it to off only if you want to debug tablegen.
>

> I proposed this a while back, but it think there were some problems with it, I don't remember what exactly but maybe related to bootstrapping / 2-stages builds?
>
> + Chris, maybe he remembers something?

LLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN=ON is a handy way of speeding up build times,
but it really shouldn't be recommended for anyone who is modifying .td
files. You run the risk of making .td modifications that trigger
asserts for those not using LLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN.

Best,

Alex