[llvm-dev] [CMake] CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE and projects

Petr Hosek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 4 14:41:33 PST 2019

We actually do a full cross build of our (Fuchsia) toolchain from
x86_64-linux-gnu to aarch64-linux-gnu. This is using the combination of
Fuchsia CMake cache files that Chris pointed to and a set of CMake options
that are set by our builder, here's the portion of our build recipe that
handles that:
https://fuchsia.googlesource.com/infra/recipes/+/master/recipes/clang_toolchain.py#212,
the LLVM CMake runtimes build knows how to handle the rest.

The way this works is we build the first stage for host (x86_64-linux-gnu),
including runtimes libraries for host, in our case
libc++/libc++abi/libunwind and compiler-rt (this is controlled by
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/master/cmake/caches/Fuchsia.cmake#L50).
We then use the first stage toolchain to build the second stage compiler
for the target (aarch64-linux-gnu) as well as runtimes for all the targets
we want to support (
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/master/cmake/caches/Fuchsia-stage2.cmake#L36).
This is the only difference from the native build where the runtimes would
be built by the second stage compiler, not the first one.

Here is that builder:
https://luci-milo.appspot.com/p/fuchsia/builders/luci.fuchsia.ci/clang-arm64-linux,
you can also fetch the produced toolchain from GCS by using the
"gsutil.upload" link, it's just a zip archive.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to give more pointers
if needed.